Thursday, May 24, 2007

Rockin' the suburbs (Just like Mike and Brian did)

So last night I was treading the sticky carpet, as I have been quite a bit lately (i.e., going to gigs in pubs!) I headed out to the Tote in Fitzroy to see Silence Dead Silence. These guys are old school, it was great. I was feeling shades of Smashing Pumpkins and loving it. It was also pretty cool to hear Stevee pull out some old Rogue Two music. I knew it was worth keeping that stuff on my iTunes for seven years, to finally hear it live last night. Last week I caught Artinem with Jess at the Laundry and Aerobleu with the gang at the Brunswick Hotel. Artinem were great - a quieter gig than usual - no mad fans on their feet, just a bunch of us on couches loving the funky bass, the smiling happy drummer, and Sam's amazing guitar work. I do prefer them when they've got a crowd that are into it, but these guys love performing so much that it doesnt change the intensity of their work. It was still notched up. Aeroblue - well, they were pretty darn fun, especially with some trumpet and keys. But points off for a shameless but unfulfilling Pink Floyd take off. A good gig, and I hope it's not the only time we see them in Melbourne. So while I was there last night I was checking out the Street Press, and found this review of an old Christian favourite.

Relient K
Must have done something right

College Rock Didnt used to mean this - this Fountains of Smashmouth pop-punk bubble music ready made for the next Shrek soundtrack. It's cute, it is. But REM were actually on about something. Also, these guys are Christians and they won a Grammy in 2003 for best Rock Gospel album. Now I'm not saying you should dismiss Relient K because they believe in the tooth fairy, but surely their fickle abandonment of the gospel genre does not speak well of their moral fibre. guess the church music wasn't getting them laid.

Now keep in mind I havent heard their new album so can't personally comment (please feel free to inform, folks) I found this review quite funny. First time Ive heard God likened to the tooth fairy - and as far as I know they havent abandoned Gospel. I'm pretty sure the only difference between the two is where the record sales come from. As soon as you start selling in stores other than Koorong (and whatever the seps have instead of it, you are mainstream. I assumed that Relient K have pulled out an album comparable to the old standards of Two Lefts, but it just hasnt managed to make an impression on the mainstream because of it's Christian leaning. Of course, I could be wrong and the new album could suck.

No comments: