Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Lucky You – Drew Barrymore, Eric Bana, Curtis Hanson.

Yes, that’s right, Greg saw a date movie. Say what you will, but I took my beautiful girlfriend (actually, she took me because my care decided to eat itself) to see a romantic movie. Of course, luckily for me, it had a lot of card playing,, and even some golf in it. Phew.

Once I got over Eric Bana’s accent – (convincing, but still twinging of his old Ray Martin impersonations somehow) He actually portrayed a really great character, Huck Cheever – professional gambler and smooth talker. To see the way his gambling addiction played out was really quite amazing, and it was incredible enough to make me want to shout at his love interest “GIVE UP HE’S ONLY GOING TO ROB YOU AND BREAK YOUR HEART”. Drew Barrymore was in her “Julia Gulia” mode as the sweet, believe the best in everyone wide eyed beauty. And she’s good at it, too.

Yes, predictable plotline. Actually, not entirely. I didn’t think Huck was going to be quite as much of a mongrel to her as he was. I thought there wold e a petty fight over little differences, but the two things he did to her should have been enough o end any relationship. But she was kind hearted, understanding, and in the end she saw that he was willing to make changes, not just to win him back, but because he realised he needed to be a better person.

But that wasn’t why I enjoyed the movie – the card play! The didn’t only stick to Texas Holdem, either. The movie was set around the 2003 World Series of Poker, and we got to see a bunch of the different games that feature in a proper poker tournament. Guts, 7 Card Stud, 5 card draw, and something new to me, and quite interesting – Omaha Hold’em, a 9 card game. Heads up boys, we’ll be playing this tonight at the Pub. Plus, some great Cameo’s – Doyle Brunson, Daniel Negraunu, Johnny Chan. It was great to see the way some of the game play unfolded.

No comments: