Friday, February 23, 2007

Mt Buffalo September 21-22 2006

Finding the only campsite on the mountain closed for winter, I decided to head for the motel on the south end of the plateau, but that too was closed. I decided I could probably get away with another night of camping on the mountain, and eventually decided that the saddle next to one of the main climbs was best – the road cuts between the climb to the hump and another ridge, there was an area to park and a toilet block, and a large grassy area. I had something to eat and grabbed my iPod, sleeping bag and beanie, and found a nice soft clump of grass. It may have been down near 0 out there, but as long as I kept my sleeping bag pulled tight, and my face turned away from the wind, I was toasty warm. Lying under a cloudless sky, the heaven were open before me, and as I stared into the milky way counting shooting stars, I listened to Gustav Holsts ‘ the planets’ and spent some great time in prayer and reflection, peace found in the vast wilderness.

In the morning I got up earlyish and headed back to the park near the chalet to freshen up and have breakfast. I then drove back to the saddle, parked my car, and loading my pack began my ascent. With a random selection of songs that all focused on imagining and dreaming, “If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it, anything you want to, do it, want to change the world – there’s nothing to it”. I climbed through the arched corridor of trees, around the base of the Cathedral, a stunning rock formation and I began the final haul up to the top of the mountain. Scrambling over boulders, I finally reached it, the top. With the wind buffeting me, I reached the top and shouted with exhilaration. I praised God, I mocked Satan. I had made it. I had climbed my mountain, both physically, and metaphorically. I took off my pack, and grabbed my bible and sat reading for a while, before taking some photos, enjoying a 360 degree view of Vittoria’s high country. I said a prayer, and then headed back down. In the afternoon, I went on some small day walk loops, around the underground river, down to Mackenzie falls, and to the sentinel. Driving back down the mountain, I felt satisfied, and after walking another 12 kilometres for the day, was looking forward to some rest

No comments: